As May is the month for Mental Health Awareness and with Mental Health Awareness week just around the corner. Why not try to do one thing each day that support good mental health. Set yourself today 31 daily things to do and either pick one randomly each day or do them in order.
You could start doing 1 push up today and then increase up until you are doing 31 at the end of the month – they don’t need to be done all at once, you could split them throughout the day. Or you might choose to do something different each day instead. If you aren’t sure, have a look below for 31 ideas for supporting positive mental health this May.
- Skip outside for 2 minutes. It will get your heart rate up and will take you back to your childhood.
- Go for a walk in the woods. Nature is amazing, it will help you to relax and feel good.Touch the trees and look around you as you walk.
- Have a relaxing bath. At the end of a difficult day, there is nothing better than having a soak in the tub to let go of the day.
- Write a letter to someone you haven’t spoken to in a while. Bring back the art of letter writing, it can be a great way to keep in touch with people you don’t see often.
- Have a cup of tea outside in the morning. Start your day standing outside, enjoying the fresh air and your morning cuppa.
- Spend time with your pets. They are your family and have the amazing ability of making you feel better when you need it. They love you unconditionally, and want you to be happy. So if you are having a bad day, know that your furry friend will be there to give you a hug at the end of the day.
- Smell a flower – fresh flowers smell amazing. You may not have to go further than your garden to do so. Plant some lavender so you get a beautiful aroma and having a relaxing garden environment.
- Look through your photos. We take hundreds of photos on our phones all the time, but how often do you actually spend time going through them? Give yourself a moment to look through them and who knows, you may find a perfect one to print out and put on your desk.
- Cook something you love. If you love to cook then make your favourite meal and then enjoy eating it. Take your time and really savour what it tastes like.
- Wear your favourite clothes. How great do you feel when you put them on, so wear them on a random day, and bring a little joy to your day.
- Watch your favourite movie. Whether it makes you laugh or cry, if you love it then watch it. It can be the release you need at that moment.
- Go to the beach and listen to the waves crash. Concentrate on the rhythm. Pay attention to it and then relax. Why not record the sound on your phone and listen to it whilst you go to sleep.
- Watch the birds in your garden or at a local park. Identify what they are, and watch them go about their day.
- Take a book and sit somewhere outside to read it. Maybe it is in your local park or sitting beside a river. Wherever it is, enjoy the fresh air as you get involved with the characters.
- Lie down somewhere comfy, close your eyes and breathe deeply and slowly for 5 minutes. Before you begin, notice how fast your heart is beating and how quickly or shallow you are breathing. Then do the same after the 5 minutes. What do you notice?
- Treat yourself to a massage. You deserve it. An ultimate way to relax and unwind. Spend the day at the spa using all the facilities beforehand for the ultimate treat.
- Open a window and feel the air on your face and breathe in. Let the stale air out of your house by and enjoy that fresh feeling.
- Buy yourself some flowers and enjoy their beauty.
- Paint, draw or colour in. Get your creative juices flowing and see what happens. Unleash your inner child.
- Watch a box set. If you start watching a show and get hooked, all episodes are available so you can watch them all and enjoy not having to wait for the next episode.
- Talk to a friend/colleague/family member. Ask them how they are really doing. Really listen to what they are saying.
- Dance around your house. Get the tunes playing and go for it, it will make you feel good and you’ll enjoy the boogie.
- Play mini golf or crazy golf. Go round the course and have fun. Enjoy being silly and having a laugh as you try to get the ball through the various holes.
- Find a yoga class and give it a go or if you are already practicing, then do an extra class.
- Go to bed early and get a good nights sleep.
- Give yourself a facial. Start with a gentle exfoliating facial scrub, follow by cleansing and toning, then do a face mask suitable for your skin type and then be generous with the moisturiser.
- Take food to a local food bank. Help those who need it most.
- Plan out your ideal day, what would you do, eat, wear, then book a day off work and do it.
- De-clutter your mind. Write all the things down that are worrying you and then ask yourself if there is evidence to back it up and/or is it a real concern or something that may never happen.
- Be kind to yourself. Let things slide, you don’t always have to be on it each and every day. Decide not to do something one day. For example it could be you always do the washing every other day. Leave it, what is the worst that can happen. The washing piles up for a day or so.
- Lie next to a window, look up at the sky and watch the clouds go by. What shapes do you see? Take time out to enjoy the beauty of nature.
Why not give the above a try or create your own list. The list of activities as you can see can be anything you want. It doesn’t need to cost money or take much time. So start small. One small thing each day can make all the difference to your mental health.
Please do look after you and take time to do something positive for you. Thanks for reading. Have a great week.
Take care, Love Emma xx